The second day in Xi’an I spent just having peaceful quite in my room. It was cold and raining so I caught up on some Tv, studied a little and tried to get lots of sleep. It was good day of actually being by myself! So rare nowadays.
On the third day I decided on the plan of visiting the Bell tower than the Drum Tower than making my way to the South Wall to ride around. Well if anyone knows me they know I am horrible with directions. I wrote them down and there are hardly any street signs in Xi’an… at least not that I could find. Well as I say it is never an adventure unless you get lost! So I somehow found myself facing the south wall at some unknown entrance while trying to find my turn west to get to bell tower…. My hotel north east of bell tower…… and a random Museum…… So I wondered inside and paid my 75RMB even though I was not sure of what was in it. It was really rather fascinating. So many very old things all in one place. Very old stones that still contained so many kinds of writings; poems, epitaphs, dictionary!, tombs stones, sculptures and so much more. With so much stuff and no translator I was attempting to see what I could read and took many pictures in hopes of someday being able to translate them,,,, However an older gentleman who spoke some English started a conversation with me, and started quizzing me on very old characters. What I did not know, he would use his,,,,,, yes Iphone….. to translate into English if he did not know the word. It always amazes me how nice people can be in China. Of course extreme interest and something a little interesting does aid in this process…. The number of compliments on my white skin or red hair is crazy. They have no idea how much I wish I could get a tan rather than burn…. Anyway I have so many photos I am deciding to break the day up into multiple post, this was the first part, my random stumble. I do suggest you visit it is very quite and calm here unlike most tourist destinations, mostly only older Chinese tourist visit it seems. Hope you enjoy!
The second day in Xi’an I spent just having peaceful quite in my room. It was cold and raining so I caught up on some Tv, studied a little and tried to get lots of sleep. It was good day of actually being by myself! So rare nowadays.
So Finally I figured out the Problem. My photo album had reached its maximum size and I had to pay to get more space. LoL Anyway, here is the rest of my Tour Group day through photos there are a couple of links to so video I took embedded in the photos they are labeled as such in the captions. There Terracotta Warriors are truly amazing, and so much of it you still can not see as they have finally learned to wait until they have more information and technology. definitively on my list of places to visit again in 30 years along with Crazy Horse in South Dakota. Did you know the terracotta warriors originally were painted in bright colors! They were organic pigments so some faded but most was lost during the excavation period by peeling off along with the dirt and rock that surrounded the figures. They say it can take 3 months minimum to restore a warrior. They choose a location and as the warriors fell the put the fragments in the containers that they believe each one belongs to. Sometimes the pile is to this for this. You would think that a lot of science would be need but I did not see any major technology equipment anywhere. Computer animation and analyzing of each part has proven helpful in restoring other ancient artifacts. They did just sign a deal with Samsung as a giant TV advertised in Pit 3 I believe. Well as I have not read nor seen anything about it, who knows. Still an amazing sight to see.
Thanks so much to My art class I took last summer and my pottery class for giving me the knowledge to truly appreciate the warriors and the skill that would of gone into them.
Then there is the Hot springs. It has been added onto many times, and it seems to hold a lot of history. I need to read more stories on this as it was built for his favorite Concubine, not his wife…. and he had hundreds from my understanding…. Asian history is so fascinating! I do know one thing it was a very lovely place and I do wish I would have had time to go up the cable car to the top of the mountain!
It was a very good day filled with excitement, entertainment, cultural exchange, new people, and a lot of really really old stuff and confusing Chinese names. I am sorry but when attempting to keep history straight Chinese names do not help. We first went to the Bampo museum. It seems like just a lot of dirt, but it is a more than 2000 year old site I believe. ++**Edit**+++ The site is actually around 6000 years old. Even more amaizng. Can you imagine life 6000 years ago…} It shows the foundation of homes, the fire pits, and post holes, that because of the material inside of them or what they were made of, stated solid over time. It was a quick stop, but the tour guide did help with explaining. The graves of the people were also found. My understanding is that the displays are not replicas they are the real thing… I could be wrong on this as I have not yet had the time to research it but as always it is written in my notebook of things to research someday…. The skeletons are so small that I thought the were pre-puberty when I first saw them, but they were adults, just not built like a northern Europe haus of a person… There is a such thing as big boned. 🙂
Well for some reason my uploads are now failing, However I did get through the photos of our first stop of the day, the Bampo Museum! Although it was very rushed and crowded. I do recommend that you go here on your own, without tour… There are many interesting things to read, and a whole museum of artifacts that we did not get to go in and see, it did feel like we were being slightly herded…. I will work on getting the rest of the day up tomorrow.
I apologize if the last post seemed a little crazy. So many thoughts were running through my head that night. I was going through a roller coaster of thoughts and emotions. I decided not to edit it or re read it before posting because the chaos is what my mind was doing at the moment. To organize chaos would mean there is no longer chaos. Anyway I am copying and posting the next night here. With photos to come later as they take a long time to load and I have to go to class soon.
Just ate a Chinese breakfast buffet…. It was ok the fritters where not what they were in LingXun. Oh well you cannot win them all. Waiting on my tour guide to call right now. I am very tired, most likely because the sleep was so good that my body did not want to stop! I am excited though, even after drinking Hot tang for breakfast!!! . That might be a new exaggeration word for me… Hot Tang. I like it. Well not sure what to do with myself while I wait she could be here in 15minutes it could be 45. A nap or not a nap. I will get a call so I will wake up. Hmmmm I like that these are the choices I have to make!
Also while checking the weather a video popped up about the storms in the Midwest. The possible tornados in Oklahoma. Really this is the first year of my life that It is middle April and I have not thought about a tornado. I think this may be the difference and why the endless rain in Taiwan is so depressing. A spring storm in the Midwest comes to life with electricity! It feels like life and smells fresh! In Taiwan sure there is some lightning. No thunder though…. And it just rains and rains and rains no sun for days, because of clouds. I like the life of a Midwest storm, It feels right, even if they can get a little to excited sometimes and create stuff like you know tornados…..
Well the phone is ringing time to start my adenture….
Last night I wrote about communism in China. About how I had not seen it while I was in Southern China. I have recently learned about the genocide in China after the holocaust. And how will our lives were lost somewhere between eight million and 32,000,000. How Mao Zedong managed to kill so many people and do so many horrible things and how people still regard him at is amazing. Now I need to research more facts but I’m sure that this is not based on nothing but something really bad it happen.
- Learning these things are it was afraid that I would enjoy lay my trip to Xi’an. I’m not I would not enjoy the people the food or at history is much. Now this next buttons might sound a little off topic but it is not. The last few weeks I have been feeling like I was only anger. Anger has been consuming me even on my happiest of dayton’s something would make me angry now I know how important it is to ignore what makes you angry and focus on what makes you happy and what needs to be done. As an amazing as Taiwan is it is very hard for me to understand their weird culture. The culture and life is so close to ours that I find it very hard to accept when they are so far behind on something or when they do things the hard way or the long way when the easy way is so apparent. Sometimes I do to get that I am in a almost developed country based on old world values. Everything I want I can find,, well except for clothes and shoes…… but I do not NEED those! And Receeses Pieces and Slinkys… more to come on that later… Anyway it has been very hard to keep my chin up. I am so angry so often that I can not keep concentration. I am having trouble sleeping at night trying to work it out in my head. And with my fears and new eyes about China, I was nervous and expecting the worst because that seems to be the state of mind I am always fighting. However Upon arrival, except for the stained seats and hot cabin of the China eastern flights…. I became rejoiced and relieved as soon as I began to haggle with the Taxi members.
- You see China, well China has a lot of really good people. Yes they want to make a little more. But even in a super strange city with little ability to communicate I had more trust in the taxi driver getting me where I needed to go. He was friendly and attempted conversation, between out little knowledge of each others language we managed to have some form of weird conversation, I really like Chinese taxi drivers! I really wish I would of thought to record the conversation on my Ipad… oh well.
- I am somewhere that I am so different than everyone else that I fit right in. I guess it is true to say I miss the fishing villange in Hianan. I miss the people and food. Taiwan food, I am sorry to break it to people…… I am not the biggest fan. Well what I eat when I went out with some locals””” was really good! In general though I know it is worse for me than my regular diet back home if I switch it up from fish jelly, rice, diced chicken, and stirfried lettuce. And they say you should not eat the same thing every day… Your body gets used to it bad for your metabolism… I think. Well at least that is what they have told this fat girl.
- I got to my hotel, much nicer than I expected not 5 star but for super cheap I would give it a full 3! Clean the softest best I have had in Asia and its own clean bathroom. Shower not over the toilet! Nice reception, and helpful. I unpacked and took a few minutes to just revel in being alone and silence…. Took a moment to email my parents to let them know I arrived safe as my communication options in China are a little hard to come by. (That is why this will be posted 5 days later than it was wrote) And realized I was hungry, so I put stuff in my pocket and just walked into the street I picked a direction and there I went! I saw a little stall of a restraint they are only like 15 feet wide maybe and it looked just like the ones in Hainan. So I ordered using Chinese! Because I KNOW how to do that in China and when I got my food it was simply amazing. I was so sad before walking out after emailing my dad, and thinking about my step moms Swedish meatballs… then thinking no they have rice. I want her beef stroganoff..… Thinking of finding somewhere clean and safe to eat, not to expensive where I can communicate and they will not rip me off. So I just walked the streets and decided to turn down an alley and then walk my way back up.. well not an alley but a small side street, (Remember I am not big city) Then I saw IT! and even with the people staring at me I walked in and just sat at a dirty table looked at the menu on the walk then walked up and ordered and sat back down…… They all looked so surprised. When the food came my jaozi and noodles in peanut sauce! OOOHHHH was this girl happy as if her step mommy had just cooked her beef stroganoff! and may I point out it had less calories…… lol. Finally the Jaozi I love, everyone says it is everywhere in Taiwan but it is nt! I am telling you the little braided steamed bundles of who knows exactly what and problably some cat hair are the most amazing things! Now if only I can find the lemonade…… I feel really special because usually if you are western you will be charged more, have proved this time and time again. But tonight I paid less than what the menu said! Th ey easily could of said 20, it added to 11 but he charged me 7. So just over a dollar for the meal that made me whole again. I will eat there many times as it is just around the corner and who knows if I will ever get it again……
- After dinner I continued walking, and then took the back streets that tourist do not usually stay on but I have a feeling not many white people stay on this street anyway… So I am back to being a celebrity. Here there are not many white people and not much red hair so I do stick out a lot! And in shorts sometimes people can not decided to look at my leg or my face first.. Here I got told beautiful leg in bad English at least 7 times today and I arrived at 4:45… So I purchased some watermelon as it felt appropriate walking around at night in like 80 degree weather and as lady like as possible just spit the seeds in the street, the locals hawk loogies all the time. And I was walking through the very local restaurants and bar like area and people did not stare at me as such a foreigner when I spit the seeds or just walked between the scooters. LoL when in Rome do as the Romans do……
- Also I bought some childrents education books, with fairy tales and stuff in them. They are written in simplified Chinese and then they put the pinyen also, so I just look up the meaning and if it can teach a kid I think it can help me to!
- Tired and I have a HUGE day tomorrow I day I have dreamed of for a long time!, now I have to stop talking it up so it does not suck tomorrow!
So happy, alone in my room, typing getting ready to go to bed, a private clean bathroom that does not smell like a Johnny on the spot at the Platte county fair on Sunday….
I am very excited and truthfully a little nervous about traveling to China on my own. I have booked tours and looked everything up before hand however. I am so excited, and I am finally going to see some of my “top to see” in China. I will be going to Xi’an tomorrow! The terracotta warriors and 3,100 years of history! Going to attempt to do as much as possible.
Well as much as possible and enjoy some alone time to just relax! Sharing a closet with 4 other people is very stressful… more than it should be I believe…….. Simple respect for people would be a start!
Anyway I have not started packing yet, just wanted to let everyone know to expect a pretty cool post next Monday or Tuesday as I will have “radio silence” while in the wonderful censored world of China…. Also more than likely another political rant soon, as I have only recently learned of the great leap forward… Why this is not something taught in our education system I am really not sure. More life were lost than anything we learn about in a very short period of time…. More to come on this but no promises of when. Let me just say that I do now realize how much of Asian History is left out of our education. Well at least mine.
All I have ever really known was China was a massive communist power with the world largest population, and the 1 child policy. Also about the evils of communism. Well after visiting China, I have to wonder what actual form of communism is practiced. I know they are becoming more capitalist. I have seen many people sell their vegetables and fish for income they seemed to keep. Not equal distribution. I have also talked to a resort manager that says the biggest problems are that the Chinese government demands so much of the profit and restricts the prices whenever it feels necessary…. He is expecting to loose a couple million in profit from that alone. But some people are very rich some more. Some very average…. I see a class system and ways to work your way up..
Well I am going to a different province this time in a different region so we will see how society functions there…
Until next time! Thanks for reading.
A simple description of the types of governments while historically showing where Democracy fails. Also a belief in our founding fathers and what they really planned. My favorite quotes are the first lines, and “the flaw in democracy is that the majority isn’t restrained, if more than half the people can be pursueded to want something in a democracy they rule.
Viewing the United STates as a group of individuals that come together as a monatary unit. This sounds so strange for me. My new chinese teacher who seems very intelligent said countries like the United States, Canada, Germany, California, Brazil you know country’s the there is the country. I was asking how to explain i come from teh country rather than a “country” hard to explain to people who are use to living in the city, But she did, shis from teh south of Taiwan and lived in teh country when she was young.
In Asia and I am assuming most countries you can not say I am from America. You have to say I am from teh United States. Even tough in Chinese it is meiguo or the translation of American. literal translation is beautiful country.
Growing up I have always seen it as one country but when I say i have lived in four states they think that is like living in four country’s sometimes. One of our states is about the size and sometimes population of many country’s I find it strange or more like exotic that Germans can take holiday’s to other country’s so easily, like Austria, Egypt, Poland,ect.. But really it is less of a drive often then me going to Ohio or if I wanted to go seem my brother in Virginia. But most of them do not drive they have cheap trains or planes. They all hold passports as a norm and they get around easily. We are much like the European Union, they mostly don’t have guns, which has been the way they grew up so it has worked. But they try and create an actual unified Government over the Euro and they find it impossible, or unthinkable.
We grew up this way. So it works! but that does leave me to question well really jsut to actually thing about, what happened to our power of state. Each state was created on a different basis of different people, different beliefs, It is a hard line to draw, but I have always thought of it as a rather easy. Until now.
I feel a real need to protect our freedoms! The government’s of the world have some have some very strange laws. Weirder than our old state laws like no horses on the sidewalks on Sundays. Most recent example I have learned of is that in almost all European country’s it is illegal and punishable by imprisonment up to twenty years depending on country and offense, but it is illegal to say or publish that the Holocaust never happened, or genocide or gas chamber. To deny is to call it a hoax, any of it.
Now why someone would claim that I am not really sure, but illegal? We have dumb magazines that say Elvis is alive on the moon and that aliens really walk around us and that everything imaginable is a hoax. I just find it so strange that o say it would be illegal if a person thught they had proof or something then they should not go to jail simply for having an opinion…
I understand it could cause people to be angry, and cause a few small problems but that is truly a restriction of freedom of speech. Just read some articles on it. Wikipedia is actually a good starting source and I have confirmed the facts of the cases it presents. I have spoke with Europeans about it and about how it handled.
***Please do not think that in anyway I believe the holocaust was ok or did not happen, It was an extremely horrible thing that never should of happened, I disagree with anyone who claims it did not happen but it feels weird to me that it should be illegal***
Anyway our states do have their own governments which seem to be becoming les and les important. With the U.S constitution as guidelines. Many places in the world, nation and state are interchangeable terms, and often countries are called states.
So what is the U.S. Why in all my education have I not studied it and compared it to other countries more readily.
Why am I 26 years old, studying abroad in a democratic country that only 23 other countries even recognize as sovereign (and can not join the United Nations because it is already represented by China, but it meets all the criteria of a Country and has a different way of life than China) to actually see the United States of America from such a perspective and why do other country’s solely use our currency why do we let hem? Why does the world see us as such a power. Our grandparents generation and older was a power, was a force but now.. now is not the same world.
Why does being educated cause us to question to have to study more, to ask more questions, and why are we afraid or reluctant to do so. I do not understand.
Anyway it is past my bedtime and I was suppose to be studying for my midterm that takes place in 8.5 hours…. I still have not reviewed it all, so some other question I brought up have been written in my notebook of what I need to research later.
Thank you all for reading my nightly ramble. This is what is like for me when I try and go to sleep at night.
Also Just a side note I would like to thank the people that keep my stuff together back home, and who are helping me out on this journey! Even if they do not know they are! of course my Dad and Deb for watching my bills and running to the bank for me! My Mom and Boyd for keeping my babies safe and loved! (dog and cat). My best friends! Each in there own way, Sonia and Jenny for keeping me in touch with reality! Kim for the encouragement she gives even when we rarely ever talk anymore. Tara Jueschke, I know I spelled your last name wrong to late to look it up, for being my doctor, when I thought I was going to loose my toe and a good friend and cheerleader! My grandpa because I know he is there even if he never comments and I do not think he knows how much of a daddy’s and grandpas girl I have been my whole life even if I am so far away! I love my crazy family and friends, even if we are so far apart and still under the same flag….. Bless the United States of America and bless my education even if it does drive me crazy in the end.
As I lay in bed last night attempting to sleep with my one always manic roomate wrestiling around with her closet full of plastic bags and clicking on this and clipping her toe nails and blowing her nose and sipping her coffee. I finally decided I would take my medicine that helps me sleep as I was in desperate need of sleep. When I sat up she immediately thought she could start a conversation then it happened….. I fell down the ladder and landed on the floor. She had got back from the hospital only a few hours prior for a sprained ankle that she was afraid was a ruptured ligiment because it hurt for 3 days….. even tho she was walking on it fine… anyway she is like are you ok oh my gosh are you ok. And as I lay on the ground for a few seconds regaining my whits, she starts to panic. I am like I am ok, just give me a second, then I get up and try and go to the restroom and she is like are you ok you should set down blah blah blah. So I just walk out, and look at the damage in the bathroom. Twisted angle, sprained wrist and a bunch of scrapes from the ladder, and my back is now miss aligned. I need to figure out how to pop it… I fell and as i fell I tried to hold on with my left hand pulling my shoulder and wrist out of place and then when i knew that was not possible I put them under me to brace the fall… Yah I know I am a klutz and still do not know why I fell. but my wrist was pulled with all my weight and then pushed and I think my foot got caught in the ladder and was the last piece to fall… and with it being stuck i twisted my back to brace my fall…. Wooo the death trap did not kill me. Anyway as I walk back in my room at 2:30 in the morning and unlock my drawer to get my medicine I turn around with the bottle for some lite and there she is in my face with a greeting card….. She like I got a greeting card you will like! look! and I said I hate greeting cards…. really it had to be the grumpiest I had ever sounded in my life, and she still puts it in my face and opens it and it is a hippos so maybe one card I like but OMG, and she keeps going on about how the birds are cleaning its teeth and its SOOOo cute, then she has to try and show me a giraffe one…
So I just growl and go to bed. She will be the death of me here….
The top step is the last one I had sure footing on…
Any way not to attempt to study and find food…. hhmmm 1:30 and I am the only one out of bed.